Bacon Baked Potatoes
These were GREAT! I’ll be making them again…and soon! Then again, I’m a potato addict! What an amazing food!
Bacon Baked Potatoes:
- Peel your potato if desired
- Slice the potato into thick slices almost through the bottom. This can be easily achieved by placing some chopsticks or skewers under the potato so a knife won’t go all the way through to the cutting board. The ends may get snipped off. Don’t worry you can just toss them in the pan or wedge them between the end of the sliced potato and the wall of the pan.
- Grab some bacon and chop the strips into chunks that will fit well in the potato.
- Fan out the potato slice by slice to insert Bacon chunks.
- cover with a thin layer of butter or bacon grease to keep moisture in and help them crisp on the outside
- Season with a pinch of salt or other desired seasoning
- Place in a 425° oven for an hour
- check for doneness. If not cooked through, ramp oven to 450° and cook for another15 minutes, check and cook longer if necessary.
- I need to play with the times on this recipe. See if I can find a better (faster) method for baking these potatoes
- Be sure to use the chopsticks or skewers. it makes it so much easier to cut through and avoid going all the way through the potato. If you don’t have either, take a stack of playing cards (that you’d be ok with losing if you accidentally sliced one), cut the deck so you have two even stacks that are the right size for your potato (you just want enough uncut that it doesn’t fall apart in the oven.
- The ones you see in the pictures, I only put bacon in every other slice. When they came out of the oven, I pushed some chopped American slices into the slots without bacon to make a yummy cheesey bacon combo. It was delicious! Next time I may top with sour cream and green onions. But they were fantastic just as they were.
- You could put anything you like with potatoes in these! Slices of garlic and then finish with shaved Parmesan,