there are dozens if not hundreds of ways to make a turkey. This is my method and some may agree or disagree with it, but it’s my favorite method and the only method I use.
- 1 Turkey.
- 1 Turkey size oven bag.
- 1 roasting pan . (I prefer disposable)
- Meat injector
- 2 sticks of butter
- poultry seasoning
- Soften one of the sticks of butter and mixing equal parts Rosemary Sage time and a little bit of poultry seasoning. Formed back into a stick as best you can and place in freezer to harden.
- Prepare the raw turkey by rinsing it in cold water. Use a large spoon, or any other blunted utensil, insert along the back of the breasts to loosen and separate the skin from the breasts doing your best not to tear the skin.
- Fold the wings under the body of the Turkey (this will take a little force but will keep the wings from overcooking).
- Melt the second stick of butter and use the flavor injector to inject butter into the meatiest parts of the bird. avoid piercing the skin of the breasts as much as possible. This is why we listen to the skin. This step can be skipped if you calorie conscious.
- Remove the first sick of butter from the freezer when ready to slice and slice into even medallions. Tuck these under the skin of the breasts and even into the legs and thighs if you’d like to cut the skin.
- Use your fingers scrape up any remaining melted butter (from the container you melted in) and rub into the skin on the outside of the turkey. Season the skin with a light sprinkle of salt and a hefty dose of poultry seasoning.
- Place turkey in the oven bag according to instructions
- And place the turkey in the bag in the roasting pan
- Cook according to the chart that came with the turkey.
- Baste the turkey as desired (this is not required because you’re using the oven bag but some prefer to baste anyway). I’ve been known to be used once an hour using this method.
- Remove the turkey when it reaches the desired temperature. Let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before carving.
I always make stuffing (mom’s recipe). So I don’t stuff the bird with any fruits or veggies. But that’s always an option if you prefer that method.