Butter Sugar Cookies
- 8 ounces unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Beat the butter, sugar, salt and vanilla together until smooth and creamy.
- Mix in the egg yolk until well incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl at least once.
- Add the flour and mix just until incorporated.
- Scrape onto a lightly floured board and knead a few times, just until the dough smooths out.
- Turn onto a sheet of plastic wrap and roll into a log, wrap up and refrigerate for several hours or freeze.
- Before baking, preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Line your baking sheets with parchment.
- Slice the dough into slices about 1/8″ thick and place them on the sheets about an inch apart (they won’t be spreading very much, but they need air room around each cookie).
- Bake until JUST beginning to turn golden around the edges, about 16-18 minutes.
You can check out the comments on the source page. There are some ideas of adding flavored extracts or some lemon/orange juice/peel to give it a bit of a brighter flavor. It’s a wonderful basic recipe that would lend very well to adjustments!
Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/worlds-best-butter-cookies-50684?scaleto=48&mode=null&st=true&oc=linkback