Red Velvet Gooey Butter Cookies
These are great little bite sized substitutes for red velvet cake! I love red velvet but making a whole cake to satisfy a craving was a little nuts. So I just never did it. This way I can make a batch, send 90% to work with hubby and just keep a few around the house to munch on. Be warned, they are RICH. I haven’t even managed to finish one yet!
- 8-oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream together the cream cheese and the butter. Beat in the egg, then the vanilla. Beat in the cake mix until completely combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Roll the chilled dough into tablespoon sized balls. Roll in confectioners’ sugar, and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Gooey doesn’t begin to describe these when they’re hot. Be careful getting them to the cooling rack. Make sure the whole cookie is supported by your spatula.